Magnetic Gold Sputter Coater For SEM
The ion sputter coater adopts imported high-performance rotary vane pump to produce a clean vacuum pressure less than 1 pa, and the vacuum pumping time is usually less than 3-5 minutes.High quality constant power magnetron sputtering power supply to keep constant deposition rate. The magnetron cathode also effectively reduce the thermal effect of plasma on samples and ion bombardment damage. It is suitable for gold coating that needs higher resolution in SEM samples.
ISC150 is a magnetron ion sputter coater,which adopts imported high-performance rotary vane pump to produce a clean vacuum pressure less than 1 pa, and the vacuum pumping time is usually less than 3-5 minutes.High quality constant power magnetron sputtering power supply to keep constant deposition rate. The magnetron cathode also effectively reduce the thermal effect of plasma on samples and ion bombardment damage. It is suitable for gold coating that needs higher resolution in SEM samples.
Welch rotary vane pump
Germany Leybold Vacuum Gauge
Constant power magnetron sputtering (1-20w)
Constant working pressure (4-10pa)
Full automatic touch screen control
|Pump set||Welch rotary vane pump|
|Working pressure||4-10 Pa,constant pressure control|
|Vacuum pumping time||<3-5min|
|Vacuum specification||Leybold vacuometer|
|Sample chamber size||φ150*110mm|
|Magnetron sputtering target||φ150*1.1-2mm|
|Sputtering power supply||Max20W，Max100ma,0-800V DC|
|Operation mode||touch control|
|Power Supply||100-220VC AC,50/60HZ|
Substrate temperature vs sputtering power
1. Temperature sensitive label test: target substrate distance is 40mm, sputtering time is 60s (the temperature is stable after 30s), and working pressure is 5pa（Air）；
2. When Au is used, the sputtering power is 6-14w and the deposition temperature ≤ 37 ℃;
3. When Pt is used, the sputtering power is 6-20w and the deposition temperature ≤ 37 ℃;
Other brand diode sputter coater
Similar parameters: target base distance 40mm, discharge current 6mA,
Sputtering time 60s, working pressure 5-7pa (air).
Repeat the test for three times, and the discoloration area and temperature of the thermal test paper are dissimilarity.
It shows that the temperature distribution of diode sputter coater is irregular,and the maximum temperature exceeds 65 ℃.
Deposition rate vs sputtering power
1. Substrate single crystal Si sheet, target substrate distance 40mm, working pressure 5pa (air)
2. Deposition rate error < ± 10%
3. Use Veeco dektak8 profilometer to test the deposition rate under different sputtering power
Au coating, glass substrate, power 10W, 5pa
Deposition rate vs sputtering power
1. Substrate single crystal Si sheet, target substrate distance 40mm, working pressure 5pa (air).
2. Deposition rate error < ± 10%.
3. The film thickness under different sputtering power was observed by Phenom LE Feiner desktop field emission scanning electron microscope.
Deposition particle size (power 20W, 5pa)
1. Au target, target substrate distance 40mm, sputtering time 3s, 5s and 10s, working pressure 5Pa (air);
2. The size of deposited particles is even and distributed between 5mm and 10nm;
ISC coating, 15W, 3PA air, 20s;
ISC coating, 15W, 3PA air, 40s;
other brard, 60mA, several PA, 20s;
ISC 150 coating: 25mA, 15W, 3PA air, 20s & 40s
Comparison of SE images before and after Pt coating on ternary lithium iron / lithium iron phosphate
ASE image of AlTiN / altisin multilayer film after Pt coating
What is ion sputter coater?
Ion sputter coater is a desktop coating system with compact structure, which is suitable for high-quality coating of non-conductive samples in scanning electron microscope imaging. Sample with drying and cleaning are the basic requirements for ion sputtering coating. Iron, nickel, copper and lead are commonly used as cathode materials for ion sputter coater. Sometimes, gold, platinum, palladium, indium and other metals are also used as cathode materials, and oxygen is commonly used as reaction gas for ion sputter coater.
What is ion sputter coater used for?
Ion sputter coater is a coating instrument, which can be used to prepare samples by scanning electron microscope, electron probe and other instruments. It is also an important instrument in teaching and scientific research experiments.
The basic principle of ion sputter coater is based on the sputtering phenomenon caused by the bombardment of charged positive ions target to the electrode. On the substrate, the sputtered neutral atoms is precipitated into a film on the sample surface to form the conductive layer .
The ion sputter coater usually is used to coat the sample surface in the field of electron microscope to improve the image quality of the sample surface. Coating a layer of conductive metal film on the sample surface can eliminate the charged reaction, reduce the thermal damage of electron beam on the sample surface, and improve the secondary electron signal required for SEM observation of the sample morphology.
Ion sputter requirement
Sputtering material of ion sputter coater
Gold is a common sputtering material, which has high conductivity. The higher vacuum of the gold sputter coater, the smaller the metal particles will be sputtered that can reduce the distortion of the surface morphology of the sample. When ultra-high resolution imaging is required, the high vacuum of the gold sputter preferred. At the same time, other sputtering materials such as chromium and iridium are option with finer sputtered particle.
Gold sputtering samples:
1)Non-conductive sample. Because the sample is non-conductive, the accumulation of electrons on this surface is called “charging”. a metal conductive layer can be plated on the sample surface, and the coating is used as a conductive channel to transfer the charged electrons from the material surface to eliminate the charging influence. Gold sputtering materials is beneficial to increase the signal-to-noise ratio to obtain better imaging quality In SEM imaging application.
2) Electron beam sensitive samples, biological samples and plastic samples. For these samples, the higher energy is possessed by the electron beam in SEM, when interaction with the sample, part of the energy is transferred to the sample by heat. If the sample is sensitive material to electron beam, it will destroy part or even the whole sample structure. In this case, the surface coating prepared by a non electron beam sensitive material is good to protect the coating and avoid such damage.
How to Install the ion sputter instrument system
- Power requirements: 220VAC, 50Hz
- Workbench : 150cm length × 120 cm wide
- Carefully disassemble the packing box, take out the vacuum pump and the ion sputtering coater, place them on the workbench, and the vacuum pump behind the sputter instrument.
- Install the oil mist filter on the vacuum pump and pour an appropriate amount of vacuum pump oil into the oil inlet to make the vacuum pump oil between the upper and lower lines of the observation window (it is possible that appropriate vacuum pump oil in the vacuum pump when the equipment leaves the factory).
- Carefully lift the sputtering head on the sputter coater and tilt it back as far as possible to ensure that the sputtering head will not fall down. Remove the protective pad of the sputtering head, install the glass sample chamber, and then put down the sputter head carefully and gently.
- Connect the vacuum pump and the sputter instrument with the metal vacuum pipe. Before connecting them, first install the vacuum pipe adapter on the vacuum pump. Please lock the interface after connection to avoid vacuum leakage.
- Connect the vacuum pump and the ion sputter coater with the power line, and turn the switch on the vacuum pump to the on position.
- Open the air inlet behind the sputter instrument.
Why do the sputtering current decreases after using for a period of time?
Solution: check the target whether discoloration, crack and oil stain. if discoloration, crack ,please replace the target. If oil stain, please clean it with absolute ethanol, then it be vacuumized after it is dry.
Is there a low vacuum after using for a period of time?
Solution: check whether there is oil in the sputtering chamber or pipeline, and clean it with gasoline.
Why is unstable sputtering current?
Solution: the cathode cover is too close to the fixed ring of the target. Adjust the spacing by rotating the cathode cover counterclockwise.
Is there too low vacuum?
Solution: tighten the air release valve, air leakage valve and the oil window of the observation pump.